Monday, October 8, 2012

SAMPLE FIVE-FIRST PERSON NARRATIVE (FEMALE)


 

I loved Saturday mornings. The sweet aroma tantalized my nosehairs the second I opened my eyes. Smiling, I wriggled under the covers and stretched out my arms, pulling my muscles out. It sure felt good. 

Cinnamon rolls. I could hear Sister Patrice singing one of her show tunes as she bustled about in the kitchen.  Saturday mornings was our vacation day, though the Lord’s work never seemed to be done.  But Saturday was family time-when friends or relatives could visit and when all the sisters would settle down from their outreach projects or vows of seclusion to sit and break bread together. I, for once, was looking forward to the day ahead.

Those cinnamon rolls made this place feel like home, which is why I loved Saturday mornings so much. Usually the Convent air was chilly, damp, musty and silent.  Rarely were there any apple pies baking in the oven. But Patrice was really into cooking. I never saw her as happy as when she was slicing and dicing in the kitchen. She took a vow of poverty which directed her creative efforts to fundraising and charity-anything to give money and possessions away.

As I pulled myself out of bed, I looked around my room. It wasn’t anything like a dedicated Sister’s should be. To most people it was pretty drab, but in that world it was borderline “worldly”.  I had a crate underneath my writing desk that was stacked with CDs and books. (Granted the CDs were mostly Christian  music). Sister Agnes wasn’t too fond of Mike grabbing his crotch as fervently as he did. I think the last popular album I listened to was Michael Jackson’s Thriller-and that was before CDs were even popular.

The rest of my memorabilia were books. I loved to read ever since I was a little girl and that was something I could not vow to give up. The head mistress, Sister Agnes, was very old school. All personal items had to be filed with the desk clerk so it could be inspected and approved-or rejected. Two generations away from each other, it was obvious that my taste and hers did not match. I had the classics-Huckleberry Finn, Mobey Dick, Tale of two cities, Wuthering Heights…needless to say, I was holding my breath. As I’ve heard another Sister say, “If it ain’t the Bible, it’s gotta be libel”.  Apparently Wuthering Heights had some explicit sexual content to it, but me and Sister Aggy negotiated around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment